Puff puff is a Nigerian snack that is consumed as fast food. Some people use it to wait for the main food while others munch it as in between or for relaxation. But the truth is that puff puff can be taken as any other food in place of real food. This is because just like bread it has a feeling. There are three kinds of snacks that make use of the same ingredients but different method of preparation. They are bread, doughnut and puff puff, they make use of one important ingredient which is yeast. Snacks business as I always say is very profitable, the gain realize from it can be equivalent to what is put into it depending on your location and the cost of ingredients. Puff puff business is one of the quickest snack business you can easily set up. It is simple and cheap to start.
You may not need much training on how to prepare puff puff; with the simple steps on this post you can prepare a sell-able puff puff any day anytime. The only challenge you may face while preparing puff puff is knowing the quantity of water to add so as to get soft puff puff. What is making puff puff business thick is that both the young and old eat them.
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IN THIS POST
- How to start puff puff business
- Puff puff recipe/materials
- Profitability in puff puff business
- Why you should start the business
- The amount needed to start the business
- Marketing of puff puff
HOW TO START PUFF PUFF BUSINESS
What will make you thrive in puff puff business is to produce puff puff that is of high quality. How will you know puff puff that is tasty? It is through the taste; once costumers eat puff puff and are satisfied they will keep coming. And will even go ahead to refer others to your business. People who are celebrating one thing or another such as birthday parties, weddings, naming ceremony will be requesting that you supply puff puff to them.
As a business person in this age and time you have to be innovative. Find out the new things people are adding to their puff puff to make it yummy. There are different ways to prepare Nigerian puff puff. Some people prepare the ones with pepper, others the ones with pepper and onions. Producers go as far as adding milk to their puff puff making. As a beginner in puff puff business I will advise you sample the different types to know which one is more preferable in your location.
- Flour. 4 cups
- Yeast. 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg. 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt. 1/2 tablespoon
- Sugar. 4 tablespoon
- Raw egg. 1
- Pepper. 1 teaspoon
- Lukewarm water 3 cups.
- Oil for dip frying
MATERIALS FOR MAKING PUFF PUFF
- Frying pan
- Frying spoon
- Source of fire
- Sieve the flour into a clean bowl
- Add all the dried ingredients including yeast if it is the dry one. But whereby it is the fresh yeast make sure you have already dissolved it in a little water before starting the mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients such as egg etc.
- Start adding water bit by bit
- Mix thoroughly until batter is smooth
- Cover the bowl with a clean dry napkin and leave it to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Put your oil in the fire, make sure you are using a very deep fryer so that the puff puff can take its form. If not your batter will not deep fry but will rather become a flattened puff puff.
- Drop a little batter into the oil to see if it is hot enough. If the puff puff rises to the top that means the oil is ready. But if it goes down to the bottom of the pot it means it is not hot enough as such you have to allow it a little time.
- When the oil is hot enough, pack some of the batter into your palm and drop into the oil by pressing the batter between your thumb and fingers. To get the accurate size for all the puff puff for those going into puff puff business; use ice cream spoon to cut the batter into fire.
- Fry until the puff puff becomes brownish in colour. Remove them into a sieve to drain out the oil.
- It is ready for sale or consumption.
PROFITABILITY IN PUFF PUFF BUSINESS
Puff puff business is very lucrative as mentioned before. The amount you make on a daily basis is enough to make you comfortable.
Assuming you buy:
- Flour 1 mudu. #400
- Egg. #40
- Groundnut oil. #200
- Yeast. #100
- Pepper/onions. #60
- Total. #800
Depending on the size of your puff puff you should be able to get 150 pieces from one mudu. And one puff puff is #10 if you multiply it with 150 you will have #1500. Now, #1,500-#800=#700, let’s say you spent #200 for transport you will be left with #500 as gain. This is for ingredients you bought at a retail price how much more when you buy them in wholesale prices. Your guess is as good as mine.
If you want to make more profit, it is advisable you buy ingredients in bulk. It will also serve you the time of frequenting yourself in the market to buy them.
WHY YOU SHOULD START PUFF PUFF BUSINESS
- Puff puff business is very cheap to start
- It is fast moving and sales in volume because of the amount it is sold. It is one of the cheapest snack, one piece goes for #10. That means anybody can buy it the poor and the rich alike.
- The ingredients can be gotten locally in any market around you.
- It is very simple to produce and does not require certificate before starting.
- Puff puff business is a business you can run at home
- Students that are looking for businesses to do can embrace it.
- Anybody can do this business, employed, unemployed, educated, uneducated etc. I once read a story of a banker who become a puff puff producer after he lost his job. He now have employees in his puff puff business.
HOW MUCH IS NEEDED TO START PUFF PUFF BUSINESS
The starting amount depends on the size of puff puff business you desire. You can start with as small as #1,000 and as large as #100.000 and above.
puff puff can be sold around school premises, markets, roadside etc. Supply to shops, snack stands, restaurants, hotels, bars etc. You can attach drinks, ice cream, Kunu etc to your puff puff business.
Puff puff business is very profiting you can do it at the comfort of your home. Once you are known for it; retailers will be coming to buy in bulk on wholesale prices from you. It is a business you can do and then expand by adding other snacks product to it.